1. His birth name, Rolihlahla, means ‘troublemaker’
2. He played a small part in ‘Malcom X’.
3. Scientists named a woodpecker after him, the Australopicus nelsonmandelai.
4. He married a First Lady: Graca Machel had been married to the president of Mozambique.
5. The press nicknamed him ‘the Black Pimpernel’, because he was a master of disguise.
6. He was intrigued by boxe – not the violence, but the ‘science behind it’.
7. He opened Johannesburg first black law firm, in 1952.
8. He loved tripe.
9. Because of his fight against apartheid, he was in the US terror watch list until 2008.
10. He was inspired by a poem: William Ernest Henley’s ‘Invictus’, which he used to read to fellow prisoners, and gives the title to the film about him. It was about never giving up.